Performance modeling, distributed systems, multimedia networking, virtual environments,distributed collaborative work
At the moment, Raul Ramirez is involved in research on modeling, analysis and design of high-performance distributed multimedia systems as part of the ITESM’s Chair on Stereoscopic Video, on modeling high-performance open service-oriented cyberinfrastructure as part of ITESM’s Chair on Information Security and the Open Computational Grid Initiative, and on research on distributed virtual environments for collaborative work as part of the E-LANE project (An @LIS EuropeAid Initiative).
Links for more information:
- Research groups and Projects:
He has participated in confidential research projects with IBM, HP and Google. He serves in the National Accreditation Council on Informatics and Computing (CONAIC), on the directorate board of the National Association of Information Technology Institutions (ANIEI) and is chairman of the program committee of ANIEI's International Conference on Informatics on Computing.
Please refer to home page for more information: http://cs.mty.itesm.mx/profesores/rramirez/
- Some Publications:
- Refereed Journals
- R. Ramirez-Velarde, C. Vargas, G. Castañon and L. Martinez. “Web 2.0 and Grid 2.0 Facilitated Next Generation Collaborative Environments”. Future Generation Computer Systems (accepted for publication).
- Ramirez-Velarde, R. V. and Rodriguez-Dagnino, R. M. “A gamma fractal noise source model for variable bit rate video servers”. Computer Communications, Volume 27, Issue 18, 1 December 2004, Pages 1786-1798.
- Refereed Conferences and Workshops
- Nia Alexandrov, Vassil Alexandrov, Raul Ramirez-Velarde. “Designing Integrated Learning Process for Web 3.0 Environments for Education”. 10th Interactive Computer-aided Learning Conference 2008, Villach, Austria, September, 2008 (accepted)
- Nia Alexandrov, Vassil Alexandrov, Raul Ramirez-Velarde. “Developing Interactive 3D Worlds for Education”. 10th Interactive
Computer-aided Learning Conference 2008, Villach, Austria, September, 2008 (accepted)
- Raul V. Ramirez-Velarde, Raul Perez-Cazares and Carlos F. Pfeiffer Celaya. “Principal Component Analysis of Video Streams for
Video-on-Demand Services”. XX National Conference and VI International Conference on Informatics and Computing, Chihuahua, Mexico, October, 2007. ISBN 878-970-31-0949-4.
- S. C. Oropeza-Hernandez, Raul V. Ramirez-Velarde and Raul Perez-Cazares. “GenMod: A Generic Architecture for Mobile Location
Dependent Services”. XX National Conference and VI International Conference on Informatics and Computing, Chihuahua, Mexico, October, 2007. ISBN 878-970-31-0949-4.
- Nia Alexandrov and Raul Ramirez-Velarde “The Integrated Learning Process, Metacognition and Collaborative Learning”. In Proceedings of the 9th Interactive Computer-aided Learning Conference 2007, Villach, Austria, September, 2007, CD, Kassel University Press. ISBN: 3-89958-279-6.
- Raul Ramirez-Velarde and Vassil Alexandrov. “Web 2.0 Technologies Applied to Collaborative Learning”. In Proceedings of the 9th Interactive Computer-aided Learning Conference 2007, Villach, Austria, September, 2007, CD, Kassel University Press. ISBN: 3-89958-279-6.
- Saenz-Urrutia R. and Ramirez-Velarde R. “The CAEMP Methodology Applied to the Design and Implantation of an e-Health Environment”. XIX National Conference and V International Conference on Informatics and Computing, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico, October, 2006. ISBN 970-31-0751-6.
- Piña-Saldaña, J., Perez-Cazares, R., and Ramirez-Velarde, R. “Model Architecture for IPV4 to IPV6 Migration”. CITA 2006, Congreso Iberoamericano de Telemática, Monterrey, México, Mayo 2006. ISBN: 84-933662-6-1.
- Ramirez-Velarde, R. and Rodriguez-Dagnino, R. “Performance Analysis of a VBR Video Server with Gamma Distributed MPEG Data”. SPIE, ITCOM 2003, Performance and Control of Next Generation Communication, Orlando, USA, October 2003, Robert D. Van Der Mei; Frank Huebner, Editors, Vol.
5244, pp. 131-142. ISBN: 978-0819451408.
"PIRE... provides our students with the kind of
direct international experience and training that will
prepare them for careers in an increasingly competitive
Dr. Modesto Maidique
President Emeritus, Florida International University
"PIRE...will enable the next generation of
students participants to become fully engaged as members of
the globally-aware IT workforce.""
Dr. Nicholas Bowen
Vice President of Strategy and Worldwide
Operations, IBM Research
"We look forward to hosting students researchers
... to foster our existing collaborations and create new
Mateo Valero Cortés
Director, Barcelona Supercomputing Center
"I was able to develop quite a bit as a person, researcher, and professional."
"Being able to learn elements directly related to my project, the likes and dislikes of another culture, and be able to communicate in a different language are all aspects related to the PIRE program for which I will always be grateful."
"It helps you build confidence that the degree you hold will enable you to tackle any problem, and, more importantly, it lets you experience the job before committing your life to it."